Saturday, March 07, 2009

Seeds!

I bought my garden seeds last night!! I can't tell you how excited I am about this new little adventure.

I stood in the seed isle looking at all the different things we can grow. Did you know that there are about 10 different green beans? Okay maybe not that many, but I was just expecting one style and I had a bunch to pick from and I no idea what I was picking.

Then Jesse spots melons! Oh Lynn, we can grow melons! Ick, who eats melons? Can you grow melons in Wisconsin? Apparently you can or they wouldn't be selling them to us here in Wisconsin! Right?

My Mom told me that I could start my seeds that needed to be started indoors on St. Patrick's Day and that is just around the corner. Now I am too excited to wait until then and want to do it now! I laid out all my packets to see which ones I could start early. I was so disappointed!! According to the package directions I was only able to start the tomatoes and bell peppers early.

I then decided that was bogus and I was going to start my herbs early too just because I can't wait until May to plant these suckers. This belly of mine could be far too huge to bend over to plant seeds!! Not that planting little baby plants is going to be any easier... it would just be way more fun! I'm a little impatient at some things.

I am suppose to wait until frost season is over and the ground is warm to plant the rest of the seeds that we bought.

I thought this has got to be some sort of joke. Maybe these seed people don't know what they are talking about. I called my Aunt Starla and Uncle Brad to see if maybe they would let me start any of these early. They have a garden every year and grow lots of things - surely they would know how us Wisconsin folks need to do this.

They left me with a page full of notes/tips. I really did take notes too! I told them that I was taking notes and Starla say I thought you would be and I was wondering if we were going too fast. Does she know me or what!?

Uncle Brad doesn't start any seeds early!! He says he just gets them from the nursery or my other Aunt, Gayle, who does start early. Cheater!!! ; ) He use to start them early, but just doesn't do it anymore. He let me add the onions and broccoli to my early indoor planting list!! He even said I could try a few cucumbers if I really wanted to! Whoohoo!! Now I feel much better!

After my phone call with them I busted out this book from Jesse's Dad. Just to see if there were anymore tips that I needed to know.

I could only take so much of that before I felt like this...And here is what my garden looks like at this very moment. Ugh. Still snow!! At least it is melting and hopefully it is going to stay away, far far away!


It was seriously only $26 to get all these seeds and 3 huge starter seed trays with lids!! I knew gardening would be cheaper, but I never would of guessed that much cheaper!!

1 comment:

The Rau's said...

Lynn, you will love your garden. Just last week we finished up our potatoes from last year.
Plant lots of tomatoes and I will share my spaghetti sauce recipe :)