Jesse and I can get real geeky and want to live off the land. Well last weekend was one of our geek-out moments. Jesse's mom came and got the kids to go see puppies and we had a few hours to ourselves. So we went to a maple syrup supply store and got the low down on how to do this. Not to mention that I read a few blogs the week before and felt like I was walking maple syrup expert!!
We have six trees in our yard and we did two taps per tree. It is a small amount - but I think (or I am hoping) it will turn out just perfect for us. We don't eat a lot of syrup. We are more honey people. But when we want syrup - we will have some from our very own back yard!!
Speaking of honey... we have already gone down that rabbit trail of getting our own hives and bees. I took a test to see if I could be a bee keeper and NOPE! Failed. Highly afraid of getting stung! Where Jesse is all about the challenge and thinks a little sting here and there is not a problem!
Jesse and I got all the trees tapped and ready before we had to pick up the kids. The maple syrup store threw in a hat for us for free and it didn't fit Jesse's head real well. I made a silly comment like this could be the lucky hat and we need to wear this when we are doing our maple syrup work so I had to wear the hat because it didn't fit him.
After the trees were tapped we walked back out to our river... I mean where it floods on our land. Jesse likes to joke that we have a house on the river! The kids love it when it is frozen and they have their own skate pond!
We had the trees tapped by noon and the next morning we had 5 gallons of sap!! We boiled it down to these two jars and will finish it off later. We all tasted it this far and it is already sweet and tasting like syrup.
Anyone else find it totally amazing that trees give us a sweet syrup? Mind blowing!
Did you want to see the kids with the puppies? Be warned your heart will be melted! You will want a puppy!
I mean for real! Crossed puppy paws and sleeping on Max's shoulder?! Stop!
Mallory is the puppy whisperer! She loves loves loves loves puppies! Which is no surprise she has two fighting for her lap.
Well Melanie shocked me with this one. I thought she would like them but nope. She didn't.







No comments:
Post a Comment