Monday, November 26, 2012

A Quiet Thanksgiving

Our Thanksgiving break started on Wednesday afternoon.  My sister-in-law came over in the late afternoon and spent the night with us.  We put the kids to bed and had some girl time… which involved a sour cream & honey facial at 11:30pm and a bottle of wine!  : )  Wine makes me do crazy things and makes me force my sister-in-law to do crazy things like going first with this facial!  : )  (Our guys were out playing poker with their high school buddies.)

Thanksgiving day turned out to be beautiful.  We had beautiful weather.  The guys took the kids out to ride the motorcycle and get some fresh air for a bit. 

Steph and I planned and plotted our Black Friday and worked on our Thanksgiving feast.  The guys one request was – no turkey.  So I made short ribs in a wine & cream sauce.  My sister-in-law made loaded mashed potatoes and asparagus with a balsamic glaze topped with shredded parmesan.  The meal was nothing short of YUM!  It was a pretty fantastic “fancy” meal for our Thanksgiving. 

Then we re-did our Black Friday schedule because I got scared.  We originally thought we would go out at 9:30pm Thursday night and just stay out all night.  Then I got scared of no sleep and coming home to two demanding kids.  So we left at 3:30am!  : ) 

It was actually a great plan and we didn’t have any massive crowds or standing in line for hours!  Except when we got to Kohls then we had to wait 45 minutes.  Otherwise we walked up to the register at every store.  I don’t have any great Black Friday stories this year… oh we went to this fabric store and spent so much time in it debating over fabric.  Two non-sewing, non-fabric girls in this store!  Before we went Steph drank some caffeine and I drank my energy drink.  We got the random giggles and then decided to call the hair salon and book Steph a haircut for Saturday morning.  Go to get our fabric cut and drool over an adorable quilted toddler bedspread and the lady cutting our fabric is talking to us like we sew and says “That is just a 9-square!  That is really easy and shouldn’t take you much time at all!”  Um… 9-square?  Then she is telling us to just cut pictures out of coloring books for the owl and sew it on.  Way over our heads!  However, I need to learn to sew in my next life because some of the stuff we saw in that store was so adorable!

And that was our Thanksgiving weekend.  We decided when they left that we will do this again!  I loved cooking here – wished my kitchen was bigger and more functional – but it totally worked and was so good and fun and relaxing!

Now we are trying to catch up on all the sleep we lost!  : )

No comments: