Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Melty

When my sister’s kids are fussy, whiny, having a hard day – she says they are “melty”. 

Mallory. Is. Melty!

I think I have reached the hardest month of my parenting job.  I’ve had hard work jobs before – but this being a mom and not getting to punch out at 5 and go home… has been extremely hard this month on me.

We start out with teeth – she was working on her eye teeth.  Then she started getting sick.  Now she is still sick with a runny nose, gross diapers, and I believe her teeth are still bugging her.  They are not fully in – I can see them peeking out.  She is just not herself.  She isn’t sleeping like usual – waking up earlier and naps are short.  She isn’t eating like usual.  She isn’t playing like usual.  She is extremely sensitive.  She is just not herself.

I hear a lot of “momma hold you.”  “momma yap. (lap)”  “snuggle.”  “stuffy.”  “momma.”  “momma.”  “momma.”  “momma carry you.” 

I can’t be out of her eyesight.  She follows me around melting.  : )

This week I decided I was going to go at it with a positive attitude.  I was going to switch things up.  Yesterday, I got out the paints and we did an art project.  It didn’t work.  She enjoyed it for a moment and then melting happened.

Today I saw that it was in the 30s and dressed her up and took her outside before lunch.  We made a little miniature snowman.  Talked to the neighbor.  And went for a walk where she got to “walk on da road” and see “big trucks”.  I took her for a long walk – no stroller, she walked/ran.  She loved it.  She wouldn’t turn around – but she didn’t realize we had to walk all the way back home.  : )  I finally got her to go home by telling her daddy was coming home for lunch and we needed to go see him.  All that fresh air and exercise I thought for sure I was going to get the best nap out of her!

Lunch time came – she was melty and didn’t eat much.  I tucked her into bed, skipped out of the room, and went right for the coffee!  Nap time!  Oh sweet nap time!  I love nap times lately! 

Not even 5 sips later and only a few of my work tasks done… someone is awake already.  Someone is waking up crying.  A rule of mine is you can’t wake up crying.  You have to wake up happy.  If you wake up crying I don’t get you until you are happy.  I let her cry.  I kept working on my tasks.  I let her cry.  She cried.  “momma.”  I went to peek on her to make sure that she was really okay and that she was just being melty.  She was fine – she couldn’t see me peeking threw the door jam.  She cried.  She sounded so tired.  I finally caved – I couldn’t take anymore crying.

I walk in and she sees me.  “momma.”  I pick her up and she snuggles in and I tell her nap time is not over.  She cries.  I sit in her chair with her on my lap.  She sits there sniffing her blanket (she smells the corner of her blanket – it’s a comfort thing for her) and looks at me.  Then she starts playing Violet (the talking/singing dog) and says “sing songs”.  We sit there.  I don’t talk.  I just breathe.  I start crying.  How can this sweet adorable little girl cause me to be so frustrated?  Mally looks at me and sees tears and wipes my tears and gives me her blanket and says “sniff”.  : )  I cry harder!  LOL!

Nap time was officially over and we went about the rest of our day.

I’m a tough kid.  I’m going to get past this.  I’ll be stronger on the other side.  But my goodness!  I’m ready for that other side!  : )  I just need to vent and whine and be melty to you all.  It is like detoxing and getting it all out… I can now finish the rest of this week with my melty child.

The good news from all this is that I am so emotionally drained that I am sleeping like a rock!  : )

5 comments:

Jody said...

Is Mallory still taking two naps? I know that this happened when Keltie was still taking two naps and we knew it was time to go down to only one in the afternoon. That made the world of difference for her. Just a thought. Hang in there. Kinsley is my Mama's girl so I get to deal with her crying when I walk away. Gotta love being a mommy though.

Connie said...

ahhhhh my poor little girls, both of you. Don't worry this melty time will pass and there will be another one but you'll forget all about this one by then.... I remember thinking Adam was never going to stop crying (he was a crier, remember?) and then one day I realized he hadn't cried for like a week and I never noticed. Then I cried because I realized he was growing up. Hang in there sweetie you're a great mom..... and sniff her blankie with her :)

Bethany said...

Oh Lynn! I'm so sorry! We're melty around here, too - and with two Momma just doesn't get any momma time!!! As I sip my 4 sips of coffee I'll be praying for both of us together. You'll get through it - and remember you're more frustrated and teary right now also because of the pregnancy. It will soon be better! Enjoy the snuggles as much as you can.

Megan F said...

Dear friend, hang in there baby! You are a great mommy and tears are totally okay. It is good lessons for Mally! It does get easier, and harder, and easier, wink wink. Love you and wish I was a neighbor and Mally could come play at my house, and give you some coffee time!

Natalie said...

Just getting caught up on reading blogs. Don't think I've checked them since you were here! Hope things are going better for you now. I've been thinking about you and praying for you a lot. I'm so excited for you to have your baby. You will feel so much better. I don't have any aches and pains any more and sleeping is soooo comfortable again. I'm excited for you to feel that way again too :) Hang in there!