Thursday, January 05, 2012

Fixing Bad Habits

Ever since Mally has been having to share her room with Max she no longer sleeps very long… she is waking up anywhere from 5:30am – 7:30am.  She use to sleep until 7:30 or even after 8am.  I’m not sure if it is the sharing room stuff or if she is just getting older.  Either way, I’m not a fan. 

When she wakes up, she finds her way into our room and to my side and tells me she is awake (no matter what time) and I was so exhausted tired from getting up multiple times with Max during the night that I would just toss her in bed with us in hopes of a few more moments of sleep.  Which backfired 9 times out of 10 because she is extremely wiggly and has to be touching me.  Jesse would be sawing logs and I’m awake and Mally is awake giggling because daddy is snoring.  I was also afraid to take her back to her room because she would start crying and if she woke up Max… OMG!  : )

Sometimes she wouldn’t say anything – she would just stand there in the dark looking at me.  I don’t know how long she stood there before I would wake up with that sense of someone is watching me.  Or I would hear her sniffing her blanket and wake up.

This morning I decided enough is enough.  I’m waking up crabby and starting my day off on a bad attitude because I’m not the first one up.  I need that alone time in the morning before the kids get up and I wasn’t getting that because when I got up – Mally got up.  So I would lay there and hit my snooze in hopes that she would fall asleep and I could sneak out… only worked once.

So tonight as we are putting her to bed I was telling her she needed to stay in her room in her bed until the sun is awake.  We do our routine… pajamas, brush teeth, bible story, tuck her in with her blanket giving her a corner so she can sniff it, put the circle blanket over the top, two kisses (because lama lama gets two kisses from his lama mama), turn on Violet (plays bedtime music) and leave.  I’m walking down the hallway to the living room and she is on my heels saying “mama is the sun awake yet?”  and she has the Jesse Frey grin on.  If you know Jesse at all – you know the grin.  Are you kidding me Mallory!!  I send her back to bed… and she knows she doesn’t get up once she is put to bed… if she gets up she gets her door closed which she hates. 

Now she is in her room yelling at the top of her lungs… MAMA!  I CAN’T FIND MY BABY!  Now, we put Max to bed with her and he has been going to bed terribly all this week – which is another story that we won’t get into.  So my boiling point is rising because if she gets that kid crying and not going to bed – OMG! 

MAMA!  I CAN’T FIND MY BABY!  Mallory, we took your baby to bed with you – she is in your bed.

If you have seen all the items she MUST have in her bed in order to go to sleep it is insane.  I’d like to blame Katherine for that.  : )  After they started watching her every day at nap I would find a new stuffed animal in her bed in addition to what was already in there.  And she thinks she knows when they are missing and she doesn’t look for them – she just starts yelling about them missing.  And she won’t stop until everyone is accounted for.  And now that I’m thinking about this… Max has a new stuffed animal in his crib this week!  Oh no!  I better get that out of there before I have two children doing inventory of their friends at bedtime.

Anyway… I don’t have an ending to this story because I just did this tonight – the don’t get out of bed until the sun comes up.  But I am going to have to resist her snuggles and take her back to her room even if she cries and pray hard that she doesn’t dare wake up Max.  He takes a bit after me in the not-being-pleasant-when-woken-up department.

No comments: