Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Mystery Pox

I mentioned how Mallory had a bit of a fever all weekend.  Well she woke up on Monday with a fever still – and one spot above her lip.  Didn’t think anything of it.  Thought she scratched herself.  The rest of the day she was kind of itchy – but nothing that I thought was abnormal.  It has been bitterly cold and I thought she just need an extra dose of lotion.  So I gave the kids a bath and I gave her lots of lotion.  Sent her on her way.

Tuesday she wakes up before the alarm ready to go.  I asked her if she felt okay – yup.  Ready to go have a great day at school – yup.  Sent her to school. 

Went to pick her up from school that afternoon and I noticed a few more spots on her face.  Kind of thought it was strange.  But maybe she had a reaction to something.  It was again super cold and windy so maybe it was that.

That night she is sitting next to me playing the kindle and she is scratching and itching like crazy.  It was so much that I told her she needed to stop all that scratching.  : ) 

We are getting ready for bed and she ran out of the bathroom with no clothes on and came to show me what she has been scratching!

I took one look at her leg…

IMG_7603-1

Looked at Jesse and said… I think she has chicken pox!  It would explain the fever!  Quick search on the internet and yup you can still get the chicken pox even though you were vaccinated.  It will be just a much more milder case – which seems to be true thus far. 

IMG_7604-2

She hasn’t developed any more spots.  But I called her Dr. and she is to stay home the rest of the week.  No school.  No awanas.  No ballet.  Thankfully there is no school the rest of the week – so she isn’t missing much there.  She has missed a lot of awanas already this year due to the extreme cold and snowy winter we are having.  And ballet is just to get her wiggles out and let her be girly.

IMG_7605-3

The one pox on her face she was scratching this morning and it opened up.  I showed her my very own chicken pox scares and told her to not scratch them or she’ll have permanent reminders of the chicken pox!  : ) 

So then I felt like I needed to call the school and tell them.  I left a message for her teacher and her teacher called back all worried about “Miss Mallory” and then told me that she has had 4 cases of scarlet fever in her classroom – and did I think it was that?  I did some research and nope.  I do not think it is scarlet fever. 

So far (knock on wood) Max has been staying in the clear!!

No comments: