Sunday, November 15, 2009

Toes on the Ground

We’re back!  We had a blast!  I just wanted to let you know that we are so happy to have our toes on the ground!  Our first flights (on Wednesday) went great.  We had to leave our hotel (Minnesota) by 5:30am so Mally was up really early and by the time we boarded the plane I laid her in my lap on a the boppy pillow and she was out!  She was asleep before the plane was even completely boarded and pushed back. 

We had a lay over in Salt Lake City which was great.  After 3 hours on the plane all three of us were getting a little stir crazy.  Then onto our last flight into Portland.  She did awesome again.  She loved the pretzel bag and it kept her entertained for a while!

Then the flight back from Portland to home.  Oh boy!  We loaded the plane in Portland – all is well.  We had another lay over in SLC and as we are about to land she is crying.  I think she was having problems with her ears.  I couldn’t get her to hold on to the pacifier.  I couldn’t get her to eat.  I couldn’t get her to snuggle.  She just cried.  Then all of sudden she just stopped – that’s why I think it was her ears!

We load back up on another plane to go back to Minneapolis and as soon as I get on the plane and seated she starts crying!  The guy in our row spots an open seat (before we even push the plane back) and says, I’m going to go sit over here and give you more room.  I looked at Jesse and I said – in other words, we are already driving him crazy and he is scared of a crying baby the whole flight.  (And so am I!)  Then another lady moved away from us. 

But I got her all calmed down before we took off and got her to sleep.  She woke up once and cried for a real short moment while we were in the air.  I got her back to sleep and this time it was a hard sleep.  I wasn’t moving her and I wasn’t letting go.  My shoulder was in a big tight knot by the time we landed because I was afraid any movement would stir her awake.  The wheels hit the ground and we still had a quiet sleeping baby and I looked over at Jesse and said, We made it! and gave the YES arm pump!  The guy across the isle gave me the thumb ups and said, great job Mom!  A lady in front of us also said, good work!  It was so great to know that they appreciated it and knew how hard it was!  You knew that they had kids and did this before! 

Mallory even stayed sleeping while I wiggled myself out to the isle and walked off the plane.  She woke up when I laid her in the stroller and she was so happy and giggling and cooing while we waited for our shuttle bus.

Then we get home about midnight and we go lay her in her very own crib!  She seriously squealed and you could see the happiness of having her own bed!  We laid the blanket on her and more squeals!  She was wiggle crazy and extremely happy to be home!  For a special treat for being such an awesome traveler… we played her the sound machine so she could watch her fish swim and listen to music before she drifted off.

I’ll be back with a few pictures and stories of our vacation.  Right now, laundry loads need to be flipped.

2 comments:

The Smiths said...

Congratulations - you did it! Your first time flying with a baby. It gets easier...trust me. And you get less and less concerned about what other people think when they are crying. :) Just wait until you have more than one to entertain and keep quiet...now that's an adventure!!

Connie said...

Glad you made it home safely. If all those people had to worry about on the flight is a crying baby they need to count their blessings. One time when I traveled there was trouble in the air and we had to make a emergency landing with firetrucks and ambulances lining the runway, all I could focus on was the crying baby sitting across the aisle from me, to hear her cry was music to my ears. Mally loves her bed already, she really is like her mommy.