Sunday, November 16, 2008

Andy Griffith House

If Jesse's childhood had a theme song I think it would be the Andy Griffith Show song! He grew up watching this show over and over and over! When I started dating Jesse and we would go over to his parents house and the only show on their TV would be Andy!!! It felt like they seriously didn't have any other channels besides TV Land and I was amazed at how often TV Land played this show!! When I would be left alone in the living room... I would try to turn the channel to something else... and they really had nothing else to watch besides Fox News and Andy! I can say that now they have more channels like Food Network and HGTV. : )



Jesse's Dad has been trying to get me to come over to the Andy side so he thought this trip would make me an Andy Lover. I didn't grow up watching Andy... my parents are younger... so my theme song would be Cheers - Where everyone knows your name! That was the show that we always watched. My Dad and Uncle Randy even nicknamed each other characters from the show. My Dad was Norm and Randy was Woody... right? That was that guy's name? I'm having another episode of 'my brain doesn't work anymore'. A little side note: my cousin Sarah kept telling me to watch out that my brain/memory will fail me. I was not looking forward to this because Jesse tested me (for one of his class assignments) and I failed the memory test!! And I wasn't pregnant!! So for it to get worse, I couldn't even imagine it was possible! This week I learned... it is possible!! I went to a ladies brunch on Wednesday morning and I can't tell you anyone's name!! Seriously! I came home and went... hmmm... wonder what their names are!?! I have no clue! Then I was trying to run some reports for my boss and my brain kept locking up and he didn't so much like that! He told me "You can't get loopy on me now Lynn! I'm counting on you!" Sarah... it hit!! You were right!


Anyway! Jesse's Dad's birthday was a few weeks ago and his Mom wanted to surprise Dave and take him to this replica Andy Griffith house in Clear Lake, Wisconsin. We all met up Friday night at our house ate pizza and drove up to Clear Lake to go stay in Andy's house for the night. Dave had figured out where we were going Friday morning... so much for the surprise! He was on Mary's computer and opened up a document he shouldn't have.


We got there and it really looked like the house from the show!! You walked inside and the owners had hunted and searched for replica items to make the place look and feel very real to the show! Dave & Mary were very impressed with the place! Dave thought it was very neat and never thought he would be able to stay in Andy's house.


It was a bed & breakfast place so the owners lived in the house too and she made us a snack before bed which was this homemade sugar cookie with ice cream, whip cream, melted chocolate chips, and fresh strawberries! YUM! Then in the morning she had breakfast made for us and served it on dishes that they used in the show. There was an apple pancake bake, scrambled eggs, sausage, and yogurt with granola and strawberries. YUM again!


So what do you do at this place... you sit upstairs in the lounge room and watch DVDs of The Andy Griffith show! You play Andy Griffith trivia games! It was actually a very fun night and morning! It was also really neat to see the house and how much effort and work this couple put into this house to make it exactly like the original from the show. Just to give you a few examples... The couple met each other at an Andy Griffith Fan Club! They watched the show 100s of times to get everything exactly the same! They watched and counted Andy's steps when he would walk across the room to make sure that their house would be the same size as the show! They searched an atlas until they found the map that hung behind Andy's desk at the jail! The list goes on and on.


Here are some pictures that I took of the house:

The living room/ dining room.

Andy's room - where Dave & Mary stayed.

Opies Room - Where Jerry & Steph stayed.

Aunt Bee's Room - where we stayed.

Aunt Bee had fun stuff in her room. Look at all this old make-up, purses, mirrors, combs...
Each room had their own bathroom too and this room had a claw foot tub!!

Mary and I had to try on Aunt Bee's hats...












They even had Wally's Gas Station behind their garage!

Yes that is my mountain man on the right! Have you ever seen him with a beard before!?! Me either! I loved it! Jesse didn't so much... and now it is gone!

4 comments:

Connie said...

I have no idea who Aunt Bee or Opie or Andy is let alone what the house looked like!! But I could go into Cheers and know the exact barstool Norm and Cliff sit in. And yes it's Woody.... his memory wasn't so good either and he wasn't pregnant. You better carry a note pad and pen with you, or how about you get a planner like when you were in high school and you wrote everything down... what homework you had, where you finished your homework, who called that night, who came over. I remember Shawna being in amazement over your planner.

Katie said...

TOO CUTE!!! You fit right in with the hat you were wearing and it matched so well:) Your weekend looked totally fun and right out of the tv show but I had no idea that even existed.....scary:)

Natalie said...

Oh I remember watching the Andy Griffith Show! My dad liked it and I remember on Saturday mornings when my Mom was at work, Dad would have it on sometimes. We would always whistle the theme song together :) But they also watched Cheers too!! LOL.

Looks like a very fun weekend. I can't believe someone actually took the time to make the house such an exact replica!

Oh and I called the memory loss "pregnancy brain" and I had it bad!!! I would forget stuff all the time! At work, at home, it didn't matter. I felt like I couldn't remember anything!

The Rau's said...

Looks like a fun weekend....but I have never watched an episode of Andy Griffith. I'm with you on Cheers tho!
Ahhh, pregnancy brain...and you have it already...just wait, it will get worse. Your mom made me laugh remembering your planner. Oh my gosh, you wrote everything in there. I remember looking at it and thinking "wow, Mike and I stop here to visit a lot!" LOL