Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Irvine Park

IMG_8499

I feel like we (Jesse and I) are not very good at doing spontaneous things with the kids.  I feel like the spontaneous moments can make some great memories for the kids.  But we rarely do them.  We are always on a mission.  We have things to do.  We have places we have to go.  Errands to run.  We are tired.  Need to get home.  Keep the schedule.  No fun.

IMG_8501

I was feeling a little adventurous one afternoon.  We had to go to some stores and I decided that we were going to Irvine Park to see the animals when we were done.  It is free for goodness sakes!  Let the kids run and wiggle.  Change of pace. 

IMG_8504

Mallory wants Jesse to lift her over the fence to pet the horse. 

IMG_8506

Where Max is like forget that – I’m just going to crawl in!

IMG_8507

The bigger animals are in safer cages.  I think they are looking at hyenas.  Which was the fascinating animal of the day.

IMG_8515

Then they run down to the next window and and Mallory yells, “This one has a tiger and zebra in it!!”  To which I questioned her, “A tiger and a zebra?  Are you sure?  I think tigers eat zebras.”  She said, “yes.”  I finally reached her and it was a white tiger.  Too funny!

IMG_8516

A few weeks later we had to go run errands again and it was hot out.  I had a craving for ice cream.  Usually I keep those cravings to myself… but I decided we were all going out for ice cream!  I’m not sure we have ever done this as a family!  We have gone with the grandparents.  But just us – it was a first!  The kids thought it was great!  I could really go for an ice cream outing again… the coffee ice cream was killer!

I will try to remember to let go of the schedule and to-do list a little bit more the rest of the summer.  It is good for all of us.

No comments: