Friday, June 04, 2010

Dream Job

I always thought my dream job was being a painter.  I dreamed of driving around in my big white van with ladders on the side.  Inside my van it is filled with cans of paints in all different colors.  I’m dressed in a bib-overalls that are splashed with many colors of paint.  Love it! 

But today my dream job has changed.  I want to be a chef or a cook or have a little tiny sidewalk cafe!  We are hosting Mallory’s big birthday bash this weekend and I’m cooking up a storm this morning.  Baked beans (from scratch!) are in the crockpot already!  Spicy potato salad is up next!  Ruby Red Margaritas are in the cue!!  And lots more yummy dishes!

I even baked a cake!  Now, this isn’t the “official birthday cake” – I ordered that from Something Sweet by Jenny.  I can’t be trusted with the real cake!  I’m not a good enough baker.  Back last fall I was at my sister-in-law’s house looking at her cooking magazines and spotted this amazing caramel-ish looking cake and she just so happened to have all the ingredients.  We decided to make it.  I was in charge of making the cake… which was out of a box, I might add.  The cake turned out about 1/2” thick and hard as a rock!  How do you screw up a box cake!!!?  We giggled lots and still ate it.

My neighbor gave me some rhubarb, but I told her I wouldn’t take it without an easy recipe.  She gave me one with 4 ingredients!!   I’m working away on it this morning and I have a question about it so I call her and she has already left for the morning!  Grrr!  So I winged-it and the good news is – it smells really good.  LOL.  Actually it is still baking, but I think it might have turned out!

The downfall of this dream job is dishes!  I don’t have a dishwasher and I’m a cook who uses a lot of dishes!  Too bad Mally is taking her morning nap or I just might try to figure out how to turn her into my dishwasher girl!  ; )

2 comments:

The Smiths said...

Oh, Lynn...if only we lived in the same town!! That is my dream job, too - and I'm a baker! :) We could open a little cafe - you could do the yummy main dishes and I could do the baked goods...it would be awesome! And Lauren could watch Nolan and Mally for us while we work. Ahh, a girl can dream, can't she??

Photos by Julee said...

Oh Lynn....I hope someday all your dreams come true! Sounds wonderful. If you open a little cafe someday, we will definitely come. Deb, Diann, Sue and I have "girls days" and would love to come...When you opening?