Monday, February 16, 2009

Holidays!

Jesse and I had an extra long weekend. I got Monday off for President's Day and Jesse just took some comp time that he had built up! It was so nice to have an extra day off!!

Just a little side note... I think when I lived in Oregon and had Presidents Day off... I think I started buying flowers and making my deck spring-like! Ha! Could never do that here in Wisconsin! The snow is still flying the temps are still way too cold! Although... we did go to Mendards on Sunday (home improvement store - our new favorite place) and I busted out my spring yellow jacket (that I can no longer button over my belly) and pretended that it was spring!!!

Holiday #1 - Valentines!
Jesse's parents had signed us up for a marriage seminar at their church. (They signed the whole family up - not just us.) It was called, Laugh Your Way to a Better Marriage. Our friends went a couple years ago and loved it - so I was really looking forward to it. It was Friday night and Saturday morning. It seriously was so funny!!! And we didn't even get to see it live... we were watching it off a DVD that they played on a big screen. I'm sure it is way more fun live! I was laughing so hard that everything hurt when we got home. My belly hurt, my neck hurt because for some crazy reason my head falls backwards when I laugh too hard, my cheeks hurt!! This is a traveling seminar - so watch for him in your area and GO!!
After the seminar we stopped to visit my parents before we headed back to our house. Oh my - I was giggling all over again. My parents were so doing the stuff that this guy was talking about at the seminar! My Dad was in his 'nothing box' - watching 6 different channels and my Mom was talking to me and she said something and my Dad says "You never told me that!" Oh man! Jesse and I both started laughing so hard and they just stared at us like we were off our rocker! So I had to tell them why we were laughing and I could hardly do it because I was still laughing so hard. Anyway... I'll stop because you don't have a clue what I am talking about unless you have seen this guy.

That was our highlight for Valentines day. We really don't do Valentines. In the past we usually make a fancy supper that we cook together and that is it. This year... we were driving back to our house and
Jesse says: You hungry?
Me: Starving!!
I look at the clock in the truck (we are in Jesse's Dad's truck because we have to go pick up lumber for the builder and our truck is too whimpy... I mean little...) and it says it is almost 8! Lately as soon as my eyes see that it is 8 my body starts to shut down and I am ready to sleep!
Jesse: What do we have to eat at the house?
Me: Um.... I don't know.
Jesse: You want to stop somewhere and grab something first?
Me: Not really.
All we have for options is McDonalds or A&W... not a fan of either. Another 5 minutes go by.
Jesse: So what are you going to eat at home?
Me: Um... probably cereal.
Jesse: I can't stop thinking about cheeseburgers.
Me: Okay, lets go to McDonalds and get cheeseburgers. I'll choke one down.

We got home with our McDonalds and it was really only 7. The clock was an hour fast in the truck and we didn't know it! We were so exhausted that we cheered our burgers to Valentines, ate them quickly, and climbed onto the couch to take a nap before we actually went to bed. Do y'all do that? Have to sleep on the couch first before you actually go to bed? I love that!!

Holiday #2 - Presidents Day!
The builder came and started working on our bathroom more today! Here is what it looked like last time:


Now we needed to plot and plan how we want it laid out so the builder knew what to do when he got here. Guys brains and girls brains work totally different. I took a couple pictures to show you.

Here is how Jesse plots and plans:

At first I thought - Oh this will be fun! I always wanted to do this! I tried taking a class in high school but they wouldn't let me have it because I would of been the only girl in an all guy class. Why that was a problem, I still don't know... anyway they must of knew I would of failed. Jesse and I sit down at the computer to do this and we're plotting, planning and drawing away. Then it came to the technical stuff... our tub needs to set into a 'platform' and we're trying to figure out how big of ledge we want around the tub. Then we have to figure out this and that - and Jesse busts out the geometry!! Seriously! He is trying to calculate angles and all this garbage! I looked at him and said - in high school I aced every math class - but they put me in geometry one year and I failed!! I can't do geometry for some reason. You give me a formula a mile long with x, y, z and I can tell you exactly what x, y, and z should be. But you throw shapes and angles... can't do it! Which drives me crazy that my brain can't do those. It also can't do math word problems. Anyway, when he started busting out the angles, and what shape is this, and if I have a 90 degree angle here... I stood up and said, I'm going to go eat some ice cream and watch Greys Anatomy and Private Practice!! I was out of there and never returned!!

Here is how I plot and plan:

Pictures baby!!! Guys love this! Not! When we first had our builder (who is actually my cousin's husband) come over and I started pulling out my pictures and he says in a totally joking way "Are you Connie's daughter?" My Mom does the same thing to him when she has him do stuff! Jesse looks at my picture and says crazy stuff like "Well, we can't do an angled ceiling like that. And we can't do windows like that either because we are in the basement and we don't have room for double sinks." DUH!! I am just looking at the colors and the inset tub and the shelving in the wall and the vanity! Sheesh! Don't these boys know anything about pictures!!

They are still pounding and working hard down there, but I snuck down and took a quick picture while they were outside cutting boards. Then I fed them some of these gotta keep the workers full of energy! Being that it is Presidents Day the builders son didn't have school today and he is here helping out. Well he got bored and started playing his video game - I took him a cookie and he ate it and has been helping the guys ever since! See... a little chocolate helps motivate anyone!!

They took out that back wall. The little helper (I believe he is a 4th grader) got to have the first swing at knocking the wall down. He thought that was pretty cool and was so excited to tear a wall down!

Jesse just came up by me and I said, I hear pounding inside and I hear a saw outside. He says, yeah 'little helper' is running the saw! What?! Really!? Oh man! Does his Mother know that he is running a saw?!!? Then I hear builder yell measurements like 9 and 7/8ths to little helper and little helper repeats the measurement... goes outside... cuts the board. Oh my! He is only a 4th grader!!

A new wall is going up and lots of progress is in the works right now! I'll post more pictures later I don't want to be the crazy lady that keeps taking pictures of every little thing... so I'll wait until they go home! : ) Plus I need to get to the grocery store before all the fun afternoon talk shows come on... because that is really how you are suppose to spend your day off!!

4 comments:

The Rau's said...

NO, His mother does not know that he is running a saw!!! Lynn, you go yell at Mike right now and tell him to cut his own dang boards!!! Make Josh watch talk shows with you!!
(but I am impressed that he would know how to cut a board 9 and 7/8ths...I only know 1/4, 1/2 & 3/4)
Can't wait to see your finished project!

jules said...

I'm with you, pictures are the only way to plan a room. It will be awesome when it is done. Keep the pics coming.

Connie said...

I totally understand what you want in that picture, why don't the guys get it?? The last time I gave Mike a picture he took it with him, I hope he still has it I may not run across that same idea for a few hundred magazines. :)

The first of your many remolding projects, isn't it fun?

Love ya,
Mom

The Rau's said...

Connie,
Mike still has your picture...he has a file for all the pictures from magazines he gets from the wives when he is doing a job. Some only give him a copy of the magazine page for the same reason you just mentioned. Crazy women huh?! LOL