Monday, February 02, 2009

Bad Dog!

Just in case any of you are thinking about adopting a puppy/dog into your family. I want to warn you that it isn't all sunshine and roses! Let's just take a peek into what our weekend was like with our little furry friend, Maggy!


Maggy was never really around people when she was with her previous owners. The only human contact she really had was with her owners. So now that we have her... and we have people stop over and see us. She gets extremely excited and can't control her bladder!!! Now, when we were in our "trial period" with Maggy, she never did this!! Yes she got extremely over excited but she never lost bladder control! She just started doing this within the last week! It is extremely embarrassing!!


My Mom stopped over last week really quick on a lunch break. Now... she is not an animal person at all! I had all intentions of putting Maggy in her room before she got here, but my Mom just showed up - so Maggy didn't get in her room in time. Of course Maggy was so excited and Jesse and I are trying to get her to settle down and she lost bladder control!! Ugh!! Not a very good impression - especially to someone who doesn't like animals!!


Yesterday, we had a super bowl party here, at our house. We realize Maggy is having this issue so we are going to keep her in her room. My sister and her kids were the first to show up and Shannon was going to do some laundry here... well Maggy stays in the laundry room. Shannon doesn't mind dogs... she's use to them, as she had one. So I show her to the laundry room and I am teaching her the tricks of my washer/dryer and we are getting ready to leave and I tell her the command is to point your finger and say "Maggy Stay!" and she usually listens. We get to the door we both say "Maggy Stay" and Maggy weasels her way out the door and up the stairs towards the living room. Now in the living room we have left baby Garrett laying on a blanket on the floor. Elly is up there reading books to Jesse to keep him from falling asleep in the warm sunshine that is shining in on the couch. I yell... Maggy's out!!! Hoping that Jesse will wake up and grab Garrett off the floor by the time Maggy reaches them!


Shannon and I get upstairs and Maggy is still checking things out and is kind of hyper and running around smelling every thing. Garrett is still on the floor and Elly is on the couch hopping from one couch cushion to the other. Jesse is trying to simmer Maggy. I go sit down by Garrett and he is looking back at me and one second he is smiling and the next he gets this horrible pouty look on his face and is on the verge of tears. Maggy comes over and starts licking his head... I do not licking!!! I don't allow licking... now if I could only get Jesse to follow that rule! I grab Garrett because Maggy won't stop licking his poor little head. Like I said Shannon and her kids are use to dogs as they had one, and their dog was much, much bigger then Maggy. So as I am freaking out about the licking Shannon is saying... he is fine, Louie licked him all the time. But the pouty look on his face did not tell me he was fine!! Plus I am the Auntie... so I get to spoil and comfort, right!

Thankfully Maggy has full bladder control this whole time! We were very impressed!!! So we thought we would leave her be, but we wanted her to stay on her own blanket. She wouldn't have anything to do with it. So Jesse would say "okay Maggy downstairs." Maggy would instantly (and I mean instantly) go lay down her blanket!! We both started laughing and thought okay maybe now she wants to listen. We let her be. She doesn't last 30 seconds and she is up again... downstairs Maggy.... she goes back to her blanket and lays down. Not falling for her tricks this time! We eventually get her downstairs and put her in her room.


More guests starts arriving and then my cousin comes and they come in threw the back door, where Maggy's room is! Oh no! Maggy gets out again!! This time there are far more people here and she can't remember how to control that bladder anymore! By the 5th or 6th time of someone saying "Oh! She peed over here now!" I was on my hands and knees cleaning up one spot yelling "Maggy! I'm going to beat you in front of God and everyone!!!" As Jesse is chasing her around the house trying to catch her! She was uncatchable! Jesse seriously had to pick her up and carry her out!!! Then, he had to go change his shirt... because the bladder loss was still at a loss!! Thank goodness everyone there was family and I promised them that our children would have much better behavior and they would not pee on the floor!!! Of course everyone thought this Maggy episode was super funny and they were all laughing... I think they were laughing because um... they get to go home to house that doesn't have a dog with bladder issues!


We did let Maggy out when there were only a few people left and she did totally fine!! Why she is fine one minute and not the next I will never know!


Oh and my cousin who came in the back door... called me later that night and said that their dog just had 3 puppies!!!! Then I got a call this morning that said she had 10 puppies!!!! And if I wanted 5 to call her! Believe me I didn't call her!!! : ) But I did give a good hearty giggle as I listened to the message!! So if my story doesn't scare you enough and you want a little fur ball of your own... she has lots of puppies! They are little black labs and I think she said there is a yellow one. You could have you very own Maggy!!! Wouldn't that be fun!!!?

3 comments:

The Rau's said...

Miley had 11 puppies total.....what am i going to do with 11 puppies?! The boys want to keep them all, I will allow them to keep one....maybe.

Natalie said...

I'm still shocked you agreed to keep a dog...especially an inside dog! I really hope this earned you some serious brownie points with Jesse :)

The Smiths said...

I am not going to mention any of this to Ryan and I sincerely hope he doesn't check your blog anytime soon! I am trying to get him to agree to get a puppy for the kids when Nolan turns 2. This story definitely will not help convince him it's a good idea - he is like your mom, NOT a dog person! :)