Sunday, December 07, 2008

Um, we have a cop behind us...

Tonight we are coming home from grocery shopping. It is snowy, cold and yucky here today, but we desperately needed to go so we took our chances. Anyway we are a few blocks from our house and we have to stop to let a train by. Pretty soon Jesse says "We have a cop behind us." Sure enough I start to notice the flashing lights reflecting off the snow around us. I said "Are they pulling you over??? Were you speeding??? Please don't tell me you just fish-tailed and played in the snow with a cop behind you!!!?" (Side note... Jesse and snow... he can't resist! The snow never gets old for him. He is constantly sliding his back end around and fish-tailing every where we go.) Jesse didn't think he was speeding and he wasn't sure why we were being pulled over.

This is the very first time I have ever been pulled over! Jesse has been pulled over a few times before but has never gotten a ticket... just warnings.

It was girl cop! She comes up and tells us that we have burnt out headlight! WHEW!!! Then she asks for our driver licenses... Jesse still has his Appleton address on his! She tells him he really only has 30 days to get that changed after we moved. She asks for my licenses and like the good little girl that I am... I have the correct address. She says "Leave it to the women to do things the right way." : ) She was a very cool cop and was joking!

Lady cop goes back to her car with our licenses and says she is going to write us up a warning for our headlight giving us 5 days to get it fixed... plus Jesse needs to get his licenses updated. While the cop is back running our files or writing up our ticket or whatever she was doing... Jesse says, "She can run our files all she wants she isn't going to find anything on us." Which I giggled and said "Yeah, I'm sure my little episode where I stole gas has to be off my record by now." We both started giggling.

Did I ever tell you this story? This story where I accidentally stole gas. Yes it was accident! It is a good one... let me share with you...

I was 16. Had my licenses for a few months. Driving this old rickety mini van as my mode of transportation. I don't know where Jesse and I were going (we were dating at the time) but I was driving my oh-so-cool mini van around with Jesse. Needed gas and had Jesse pump gas for me. See here in Wisconsin we have to pump our own! Which I can't stand! I hate pumping gas! Even in Oregon I hated having to stop at the gas station even though I never had to pump it! I don't know what it is about pumping gas... but I don't like it one bit! So... Jesse said he would pump my gas so I let him. I gave him my cash to go inside and pay. He goes inside and comes back out with gummy worms! We take off and head back to my parents house.

We get back to my parents house and no one is home but there is a message on the answering machine. It is the police!!! They are looking for me!!! They think I stole gas! I looked at Jesse and said... you didn't pay for the gas?!! He looks in his wallet and sees my cash in there and says, I guess not, I guess I just bought the gummy worms and forgot. Now what?!!? We head back up to the gas station to apologize and explain what happened and to pay them! Then we have to head to the cop shop to explain what happened to them! After all this I realize... I never deleted the message from the answering machine! What if my parents heard it! I freak out. I know I did nothing wrong, but I just felt so bad! We find my parents out at the hunting shack and I explain what happened. I think I even cried. Me cry - yeah right! ; ) Pretty sure my parents laughed at me and said... I think you learned your lesson. Kind of like the time I tried to skip school and broke down about 9pm that night and had to tell them I skipped school. They laughed!

Hopefully this little blueberry (and our future children) take after me lots!!

3 comments:

Connie said...

Okay now you didn't finish your story... did Jesse charm his way out of a warning??? He's been known to get his way with his long eyelashes and brillant charm!! I would raise 16 blueberries just like you and your sister and brother.... the days of the gas stealing and school skpping were the worst two things you ever did. Now that husband of yours is a different story... The key is love and support no matter what the crime.

Love ya

Natalie said...

I love this story! I'm seriously laughing out loud :)

And Lynn, if we would have known each other as kids we would have been friends then too. I couldn't do anything wrong or keep a secret either!

Brandon said...

I am suprised I had never heard this story! Miss you guys!