On August 9, 2003 Jesse and I got married in Medford Wisconsin! We had a beautiful August day. This was a very happy time but also a very sad time for us! The next day we would be leaving on our honeymoon and then from there we would be moving to Oregon for 4 years!! Neither of us have been to Oregon and we weren't sure what to expect... all we knew was we had to go! We had lots of faith that God would take care of us, provide and keep us safe. We (or should I say... mostly me) cried lots of tears as family and friends slowly left that night.
We went on a 1 week honeymoon to Mississippi!! Jesse has a lot of family that lives in Mississippi and the last time he saw them he was a teenager. While we were there we took a few days to drive down to Pensacola Florida!! We splurged and got a hotel on the beach with an ocean view!! This was the first time I seen the ocean and was so excited because we were moving to Oregon when we got back!! We were only going to be a few hours from the ocean!! This is going to be great!!
We got back to Wisconsin and slowly packed our things knowing that there were going to be tough times ahead of us as we had to say goodbye to our family!! Both our Parents (and Adam) were going to drive out to Oregon with us! A little caravan...Frey's, Jesse & I, and bringing up the tail end... Johnny 55!!! (He did a great job of keeping up - we had him doing 100mph!!! That is a world record for him - we even got a picture to prove it!!) We had walkie-talkies and we told stories as we drove over the mountains.
I suppose I should tell you why we are moving. Jesse has picked George Fox University to get his doctors in psychology.
Three days later we arrived at our apartment that we had only seen pictures of on the internet!! We opened the door to our new apartment and I could not believe how small it was!! I didn't think we were going to be able to get all our stuff in it!! It was TINY!! But, we managed and were thankful that we just signed a 6 month lease!!
Jesse's brother, Jerry and his girlfriend, Steph, drove a few days before us because Steph has a sister that lives out here in Eugene. They came back and spent the first night with us in our apartment! Jerry ordered us pizza from Papa Johns and to this day when we call for pizza we have to tell them that we are Jerry Frey. They have our address and phone number matched with Jerry!!
Dave, Mary, Jerry and Steph were going to drive down to California and see to the Redwoods while My parent, Adam, Jesse and I went to see that Ocean!! Dad and Adam had never seen the ocean!!! It was hot here so we dressed in our tanktops, shorts and flip-flops because we are going to the BEACH!!
We went to Lincoln City. We arrive and it is kind of hazy out and VERY cold!! Mom and I shivered the whole time!! We took our shoes off and walked in the sand to the water... oh this water is not like the water in Florida!!!!! FREEZING COLD!! We stuck our feet in and immediately took them out and ran!! It was so cold that if you kept them in there for too long you got the feeling of an ice cream headache in your feet!! We walked around and explored for a little bit then hoped back in the truck to head for warmth!!
On our way back to Tigard Mom had spotted a sign that said something about a waterfall! We talked Dad into taking us to it! We drove and we drove and we drove and we drove. Up and up and up and up. On some very narrow roads with some very steep ledges!! And, we swear that we didn't see a car the whole way... except a log truck that was coming down! Jesse kept saying that there has to be something amazing at the end. We finally find the parking lot and now there is a hike to the waterfall. We hike through the woods and over a suspension bridge (this is the scariest bridge ever!!) and there was an amazing waterfall... Drift Creek Falls!!
A couple days later it was time for the Hemmers to leave. We knew it was coming and it still brings tears to my eyes just thinking about that day! I don't really remember the actual goodbyes... I am sure there were lots of tears. After they left Jesse and I laid on the couch and tried to watch TV or take a nap trying to keep us looking ahead.
A few days later Jesse's parents left and we went through all the same emotions again!!
Looking back now (we have been here 3 years) I can't imagine how our parents felt!! I was only 20!!! Jesse was 23!! We were both fresh out of college and newly married!! Neither one of us had a job!!! Every once in awhile Jesse and I will think back to those days and all we can say is it was God-thing!! We honestly didn't know what else we were suppose to do... this was it! And, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat!! It has made us both stronger individually and as a couple!!
Now, Jesse is going to be starting his 4th year!!! Time went SO fast! We are looking at internships and starting the moving process all over again!! I am working as an office manager for a small manufacturing company! Life is good! We put all our faith and trust in God and he provided!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is great. Dad and I are so proud of both of you. This brings up old memories and tears again well up in my eyes as I read it, but we have talked many times and we wouldn't have wanted you to change a thing. I think the day we dropped you off in Eau Claire for your first day in college prepared us for driving in a flooded car of tears. The only difference is driving through Portland is a bit busier than Eau Claire, looking through teary eyes. We all love and miss you both.
Love, Mom
this blog is such a great idea Lynn, how fun for us all to read this and leave little notes:) Have a wonderful day friend.
I'll get started on mine ASAP!
Post a Comment