Friday, August 13, 2010

Garage – Phase 1

When Jesse and I first got married we moved to Oregon (two weeks after the wedding) and moved into an apartment we had never seen.  We had dimensions of the apartment – so I had my dad draw it out on the driveway for me, so I could see how big it was going to be.  I remember standing in the space going… how in the world are we going to fit in this?  It was about 500 square feet!  No joke!  Then we get to Oregon and we get our keys and we go see our apartment and I clearly remember fighting back the tears.  We were never going to fit.  We did though and we lived there for 6 months.  Then we upgraded to the next step up which was like 900 square feet and that place felt huge.  : ) 

Now we live in a house.   With two levels.  With 3 bedrooms.  With a double car garage.  With closets.  And yet – we still have no room!  How does this happen?  I guess it happens to everyone.  : ) 

But really, we are running out of space.  FreyMoto has taken over our garage.  We bought a bigger truck a few months back and it doesn’t fit in the garage with FreyMoto.  When you live in Wisconsin you really want your vehicle in the garage for the winter.

I grew up in construction.  It seemed that my parents were constantly remolding, building, painting, rearranging… yet all this seems so big to me.  It is a lot of work!  Granted my only job is to feed the workers lunch and sometimes supper and make sure everyone has enough to drink… but these guys have a lot of work to do!

Before:  The backyard where the garage/shop is going.

IMG_9232Before:  The side yard – where the driveway will go and the front of the garage/shop.

IMG_9233

Now I missed a day of work – cutting down 5 trees.  I was working the full day and it was nuts and I didn’t even have a moment to step away and get pictures.  And now that I think about it, I was so busy I never heard chainsaws… but they must of used them because the trees are gone.  : )

Trees are cut down and now we have to remove the stump and roots.

IMG_9244 Grandpa Frey piling firewood from the trees that were cut down.  This guy is either mid-80s or late-80s… he is always willing to help out.

IMG_9248 Removing a stump.

IMG_9256 Shooting the breeze.

IMG_9259 Mallory discovered the doggy door.

IMG_9260Grandpa Frey has had it with these young punks taking a break and not telling him that he tossed his hat on the ground and yelled “I QUIT!” and left the job scene and went to take a nap in the truck ; )

IMG_9261 Once all the stumps were removed they then had to dig out the area.

IMG_9265Oh and we had one mean tree stump left to get rid of.  They hooked up two winches and tugged and tugged… and nothing. 

IMG_9267

They called it a night and went home.  It stormed and rained inches of water during the night.  We woke up to this…

IMG_9269and decided to call the whole garage/shop off and put in a pool instead.  ; )

There has been two more full days of work since these photos – however I have been incredibly busy (my job, my baby, FreyMoto, feeding the workers) that I haven’t gotten out there to take pictures and right now it is raining (AGAIN) and it is dark and I’m not going out there.  Sorry.

We have had 5 dump trucks full of gravel brought in to make the base.  The mean tree stump has been removed.  They have measured out and staked where the garage will go.

I’m going to end with a little video of Mallory helping Grandpa dig.

4 comments:

The Smiths said...

Love the story and the pictures! Nolan watched the video and as soon as it was over he said "More!" I have a feeling we'll be visiting your blog often so he can see the cool construction stuff!! :)

arturlington said...

Wow- I can't believe all the work. I hope you end up with the shop of your (I mean his) dreams. Is there room for a craft area for you?

Natalie said...

Your neighbors are gonna be glad when the work is done!! What a big project! It's gonna be awesome for you guys though. And I didn't even know you got a new truck!! I think you mentioned it in your last post and I was like "Huh? a new truck"??!? I want details :) I am shocked that Mallory is riding in that loud bumpy tractor. I don't think Allie would have ever gotten close to doing that! Can't wait to see when you're finished!

Katie said...

LOVE the video of Mallory, she is a Frey girl for sure! Tractors, dirt this girl is getting to be a mini Jesse more and more and I love it! I totally thought Maggie was gonna get crushed though when I was watching the video....glad she dodged the tractor:)