Friday, March 05, 2010

1st Attempt at Manual Mode

IMG_7867

It’s 3:50pm on Tuesday night and I have photography class at 6:30.  (Plus I have an hour drive to class.)  I hadn’t done my homework yet!!  I attempted on Monday, but the neighbor saw me outside and she came over to chat and well… a little margarita we had.

My assignment was to use my camera on manual mode and take pictures of action.  I tried to make Maggie run around the yard but that was a flop.  She wanted me to chase her, and I can’t chase and take pictures.  So I gave up and decided to just try shooting in manual first.  I have to set everything when in manual mode! 

 IMG_7876I set my ISO… fstop… and then I set my shutter speed.  That was all I did.  I completely forgot about my white balance!  I am outside in the snow and forgot my white balance!!!  See… I have blue snow!!  I’m kicking myself over this!  I really like this above picture… but not with blue snow.  I guess I will never forget that again, I hope!

IMG_7877

I also didn’t straighten out my horizon line!  I hold my camera at a slant and it drives me crazy!  I like to blame it on my twisted spine because I feel straight.   

IMG_7878

Oh and I also have spotted sun spots on Mally’s face!  Those are bad!

Apparently I don’t listen in class, but I actually do.  I just need to learn to slow down and apply all that I learn.  I get so excited about one thing (or a couple of things) and completely forget about the rest.  This is my first attempt at 100% manual mode… and I think I learned from my mistakes.  I’ll try again real soon!!

3 comments:

Ben said...

come teach me what you know. i will be your grasshopper.

arturlington said...

Grasshopper II here! I wish there was a class nearby (or that your mom would do an online class!!!) The pics are great. Blue snow or not, I love the hat!

Aray said...

I do the same thing with the crooked shots! I get so frustrated at myself! "ugh that would be a good picutre if only it was straight!" Oh well!! Learning right!